Chicken and Egg on Rice - Oyako Donburi
This is one of my favourite Japanese recipes - it is comfort food at its best, very fast and easy to prepare, a regular at our home. There are many variations on this dish, but it is essentially rice topped with eggs, onions in a delicious dashi broth.
- 175 ml strongly flavoured dashi stock
- 75 ml sake
- 4 tbsp light soy sauce
- 4 tbsp mirin
- 1tsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 300g free range chicken breast, slantly and thinly sliced
- 6 eggs slightly beaten - top quality and very fresh as briefly cooked
- 600g cooked sushi rice - about 300g uncooked
- 1 onion thinly sliced - lengthways
- 4 dried shiitake mushrooms
- To garnish - baby cress or spring onions, 1/2 sheet of toasted, crumbled nori (seaweed), red pickle ginger, black sesame seeds (all optional)
- Cook the sushi rice, keeping it warm in four or two separate ceramic bowls.
- Place mushrooms in a small bowl, cover with boiling water, let it stand for about 20 mins until tender. Drain, reserving the water, discard stems and slice caps.
- Gently mix the eggs in a bowl without beating them with a fork.
- Prepare the garnishing ingredients - thinly slice the spring onions, or wash the baby cress, crumble the nori sheet. Although optional, I would recommend using the garnish as it will add extra flavours to the dish and make it look pretty.
- Meanwhile, bring the dashi stock, soy sauce, mirin, sake, sugar and salt to a simmer in a largish saucepan (that has a lid!), but do not boil it to avoid making the dashi stock bitter.
- Add the chicken, mushrooms and its reserved water, the onions, cover and cook gently for about 3-4 mins until the chicken is cooked through.
- Gently pour the egg over the chicken mixture in a circling movement, from the outside inwards, covering the chicken mixture completely. Cook uncovered for 1 minute.
- Cover and cook for another minute. The mixture should have thickened and the eggs just began to set. Remove from the heat.
- Pour the egg mixture on top of the warm rice.
- Garnish with baby cress or spring onions, crumbled nori sheet, black sesame seeds and top it with a little red ginger pickle.